Welcome to Havertown!
A family-friendly neighborhood with easy commuting access and a wealth of fantastic eateries
Nine miles from Philadelphia sits Havertown, a suburb with a history dating back to the 1600s. The neighborhood was once farmland but has transformed into a hospitable, close-knit community with more than 30 parks and playing fields. This picturesque town offers a relaxing escape from the hustle and bustle of downtown Philly.
Steeped in history, Havertown once manufactured textiles for soldiers in the Civil War and gunpowder for the War of 1812. The Grange Estate, now a popular museum and community center, was once visited by several notable figures and serves as a central fixture in the neighborhood.
This sprawling suburb offers a close-knit community that families love. Each neighborhood and village here has its own personality so you’re guaranteed to find a perfect fit. There is an assortment of single-family homes, apartments, and spacious detached properties with landscaped lawns. You will fall in love with suburban living here and just wish you found it sooner!
What to Love
- Close-knit community of parents and young families who love the top-rated schools
- Tree-lined neighborhoods, perfect for kids
- Convenient commute into Philadelphia
- Wonderful quality of life and idyllic suburban experience
Havertown is a family-strong Delaware County commonwealth belonging to the high-ranking Haverford Township School District. With easy access to Philadelphia, Havertown makes the perfect home for commuters with active families who also want to take advantage of the many public and private school options on the Main Line. Local golf and country clubs such as Llanerch Country Club, McCall Golf Club, and the world-renowned Merion Golf Club, as well as swim clubs such as Karakung Swim Club and Hilltop Swim Club offer great opportunities for residents to gather in the warmer months. Filled with over 30 parks, the Haverford Township Recreation Department and many other local sports clubs such as Haverford Soccer Club, Pickle Ball League, Brookline Baseball, Havertown Baseball, and Haverford Ice Hockey, create an impressive list of well organized activities and options, great for all ages.
Dining, Entertainment & Shopping
Any local will tell you that Haverford Township has stepped up its game in local bars and eateries over the last 10 years. As the next generation has moved back to Havertown, demand for Philly style dining and both unique and stand options for a nice evening out have driven restaurant owners to open a wide variety of new dining locations all over town from Darby Road to West Chester Pike. Each neighborhood has its favorites, whether it’s great American pub grub, pizza, Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Vegan, or simply fast food. There, Some of the beloved favorites in Havertown are:
Oakmont/Eagle Road Dining & Bars
- Bars/ Restaurants: Brick N Brew, Crossbar, Town Tap Conshohocken Brewery, Burke’s Inn or Sidebird Kitchen for casual gastropub fare
- Restaurants: Burrata (Italian), Crust, Boccella’s Deli, Havertown Pizza, Chaiya Thai & Asian Fusion, Asian Cafe, and SENORITA'S MEXICAN TAQUERIA, Ox’s Way
- Cafes: House Cup Coffee, Havertown Grille, Kelly Center, Sippy’s Bubble Tea
- Rita’s Water Ice and Pop’s Water Ice
Ardmore Dining & Bars
Brookline Dining & Bars
Manoa, West Chester Pike Area Dining & Bars
- Bars, Manoa Tavern, West Gate Pub, The Yard Pub, Barnaby’s, Patty Rooney’s Pub
- Restaurants: Pepperoncini, Qing Mu, Sugar and Spice Thai, Boardwalk Vegan, Hanoi’s Pho, Shogun 3 Japanese Steak House, Tuscany Cafe
- Chain Restaurants: Starbucks, Applebees, Burger King, Duncan Donuts, McDonalds, Dominos, Primos, Smooth King, Krispy Kreme
Pizzarias - Haverford Township is known for its Pizza!
- Cenzo’s, Sam’s Boardwalk Pizza, Havertown Pizza, Crust, Slice It Up, Paisano’s Pizza, Original Eagle Pizza, Tony Roni’s, Bravo Pizza are family-friendly and offer awesome takeout.
- Koffmeyer’s Ice Cream, Rita’s, and Pop’s Water Ice will be your kids’ new favorite places.
Alternatively, Haverford's Shopping District is the perfect place to spend a day with some retail therapy!
Things to Do
Havertown is always buzzing with action and events throughout the year; you are sure never to get bored with the wide range of things to do:
In September, attend the Haverford Music Festival, flooding the Oakmont Business District with music and custom since 2011. In October, celebrate the town at Haverford Township Day, then enjoy Oktoberfest, a fundraiser hosted by the Haverford Township Historical Society, which also hosts the yearly Holiday House Tour each December.
When the weather starts to break, bike, run, or walk along Karakung Drive, closed to traffic every Sunday from May through October. For two weeks each May, families adore heading to the St. Denis Fun Fair to ride the large Ferris wheel and play other carnival games. June in Havertown brings the Irish Fest and Heritage Festival where you can enjoy historic demonstrations, food, crafts, vendors, music, and activities from morning until evening.
Many residents choose to join golf or country clubs nearby such as Llanerch Country Club, McCall Golf Club, and the world-renowned Merion Golf Club (Home of 2 US Open Championships). Haverford Township also boasts more than 15 miles of walking and jogging trails (such as Pennsy Trail), as well as cyclist-friendly roads whenever you need a breath of fresh air.
The Haverford Township School District features five elementary schools: Chatham Park, Chestnutwold, Coopertown, Manoa, and Lynnewood, each with its own mascot and some fierce school pride. All five elementary schools filter into Haverford Middle School and Haverford High School. Additionally, Havertown is close to many Catholic/parochial schools in the area as well such as Ss Colman-John Neumann School, Cardinal Foley School, Sacred Heart School, St. Joe’s Prep (All Boys), and Merion Mercy Academy (All Girls).
For college-level education, the area is home to Bryn Mawr College, Haverford College, Harcum College, and of course, Villanova University.